Friday, January 27, 2012

Some of the things not so glamorous about IA adoption


How many times have I heard this comment "Your like Angelina Jolie".  HA.  I'm not sure if that is intended as a complement or not?  I do know that her husband comes from an amazing family and he was raised in a believing home.  I do know he has a sister who does incredible ministry in Africa "Dig Deep" digging water wells ... AND ... she was brilliant enough to partner with our beloved missions sending ministry "Visiting Orphans"   for an awesome trip this past August.  I do know that I love (no matter what her status) that she has adopted and that together, she and her husband care for the least of these .... SOOOOO ... I'm gonna take it as a compliment.

It does make me giggle a little.  There is this "worldly" view that IA adoption is somehow exotic and perhaps why we do it to keep up with those "Hollywood" stars or something.

 Ummm ... no.

I am not certain if the ones who have come to that conclusion actually know much about IA adoption - the process, the journey, the heartaches, the trials, the wait, the determination, the home studies, the finances ... and well ... the poop samples.

So Preparation Day 4 encompasses all those "ick" things that we don't want to talk about but should.

The reality is, our kids often come home sick and infected with things that you can easily find in a 3rd world country.  My favorite conversation amongst my adopting friends centers around cheering for one another as they (and soon me) get 3 poop samples for the Doc to test for parasites.  Oh the lovely, Giardia ... how exotic that must be.  And ringworm.  That's a joy!   We're pretty certain our boy will have it.  Did I mention scabies ... eeek ... let's treat those puppies in country BEFORE we infest our home and find ourselves on the next TLC episode of "infestation".
And well, don't EVER travel to Africa without your best friend, Cipro.  I promise, you'll get the gunk and then all those exotic moments you dreamt of will be spent sitting on the toilet re-thinking every last thing you just consumed.   That's a Hollywood moment for sure!

Hmmm mmm ... I wonder if you are re-thinking Angelina now?  As a friend once said to me, "Everyone goes ... when you start to feel intimidated ... imagine them sitting on the pot".  HA.  Angelina doesn't look quite as exotic retrieving poop samples, treating scabies, ringworm, Giardia and more.  In fact, she starts to look more and more like a Mom .... and well ... I guess I can take that as a compliment.

Day 4 ... Collection of Meds - Check!  First Doctors Apt. Made - Check!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Lead us to Levi

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs