Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Preparation Day 2

Hair and Skin Care!  People, this is a serious subject.   I had a friend who posed this question to her FB community asking what products her friends with brown babies suggested.  I thought, Hmmmm ... I need to come back to this so I have some ideas.  130 plus comments later ...  I realized I was overwhelmed and I needed to do some serious researching.

There are ENTIRE websites devoted to this subject.  One such site,  ManeMane, actually exists to share product reviews and his thoughts on how to care for his awesome hair.  Oh my gosh, talk about feeling the pressure.  I have GOT to get this right.

Soooo... I found myself a few weeks ago at Sally's Beauty Supply staring at all the products for black hair care.  I am sure I looked odd (the white girl with clearly sandy blonde hair) and the other patrons were beginning to sense my feelings of complete confusion as I stood starry eyed in the middle of the isle.  Within a few minutes, I had not one ... but 3, happy helpers to share their insights on what they think would work (given the adorable picture I showed them of our Z when his head wasn't shaved ... because, well, one must first identify the texture and what kind of curls we are working with).

So I came home with oils, conditioners, shampoos with olive oils and some fancy brush to use "only when his hair is wet".  I am learning words like "co-washing", that oil isn't just for cooking, that vaseline isn't just for white baby's bottoms, and that my little boy may soon get more time for hair/skin care than I do.

Apparently as well, I have bought these things and none of them may work.  It will "take time" to learn a routine for each child.  Oh dear.
I have one thing to say ... I am praying for all my friends bringing home girls!  When all else fails, we'll cut that hair short and forego the cute fro for a bit of sanity.  (though a fro is what we hope to discover along the way).

I also have realized I am in need of someone of African American descent to cut this cuties hair.  Hmmmm ... if you live in San Antonio and have suggestions, I am open.  This one makes sense.

I am praying for one thing along this journey ... lots of GRACE!  I pray it can begin with hair.  This one may take some time to perfect ... then again, last time we saw a photo ... his head was shaved so this may be a mute point initially.  That too may take some time - hair to work with.  Next post *ringworm of the scalp*  oh. the. joy.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Christi,
I keep my Noah's hair short because he is very tender headed and the only time he lets me comb his hair is in the shower with shampoo in it. His tangles terribly!!!!! I have not had any trouble getting his hair cute and we have gone to several different places....any barber shop should be fine. We have even gone to Sports Clips and had good results...we LOVE Lisa @ the one on Thousand Oaks. Skin is an issue as well, oh my Noah's skin stays ashy. I can't wait to meet you little one!!! God Bless and safe travels!!! Tara

Post a Comment

 
© Lead us to Levi

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs