Sunday, February 5, 2012

Forever is today!!

                                                     
February 5, 2012
 Forever Family Day!

First, forgive me if this post doesn't end up showing my right spacing. I wrote it on notead first and it pastes in with funny spacing. I plea forgiveness!!! 

 What a day!  Today was forever day!  From this day forward we are forever Zebene's Mom and Dad and Zebene is forever claimed!  Today was a great day!  Happy Birthday my Cindy ... Today was also your day!

 We started off our morning going to the International Evangelical church.  This is our second time to visit this church and it is one of the trips blessings for sure!  Imagine if you will, being in a church of many nations and many colors ... All worshipping one Jesus!  It is undeniably beautiful!  I am certain I get a glimpse of heaven with each visit. Upon entering church I saw a woman who looked very familiar walking down the isle to her seat.  Looking closer I realized that it was the one and only Dr. Catherine Hamlin of the Fistula hospital.  My heart lept.  If you don't know who Dr Hamlin is then I highly suggest you go watch "A Walk to Beautiful" ... And if you do, well then you know I just had a beautiful conversation with a living angel and one of God's most amazing woman - ever!  Yes, indeed I did stop her on the way out of church and she was the most humble woman to approach.  This is my second time to meet her ... The first on a visit to Fistula, but there was  something sweet about just having conversation with her in the midst of church.  One more believer enjoying the Sabbath.   Thank you Jesus for a little blessing.

 From church and lunch we went to the transitional home to get Zebene.   Let me say ... Without any hiding and romancing our story here ... This was hard!

 Zebene was ok to come to us.  Just as in our first trip, he approached with great caution and concern.  That never really subsided before it was time to head out.  That is when the real hard kicked in.  Realizing what was going on, he quickly backed away and shrugged his little shoulder (a body signal we have quickly learned means I am scared, I don't like this, I don't want to).  We let him move away and gave him some space.  Our amazing guide Job began to talk to him but still Zebene was unsure - again moving further away.   Job went and sat down by him, I sat a good distance away as to give him comfortable space.  Job pulled out his iPhone and began to show Zebene videos of the kids and began talking with him.  Who know what he said ... If I only spoke Amharic.  Two precious kids who my kids fell in love with on trip one and are also going home (ages 8 and 12) began to talk to and comfort Z as well.

 Things seemed to be looking up with their help. He began to walk towards the van.  I reached down softly to pick him up and he began to cry and pull away.  I put him down and knelt down near him.  My heart was so full of heartache.  Not for me ... This wasn't about my rejection ... But for my son who was rightfully so - terrified!  Can you imagine a black family (Yes, we are still farenge's), who you don't really know, showing up and wanting to load you in a van and take you with them.  No - yeah me either!

  But our boy ... He is brave and courageous! 

 Within some time we all thought it was best for Doug to pick him up and get in the van.  Knowing Zebene would cry but also knowing we were delaying the inevitable.    We did. There was tears and crying ... My sweet boy was so so scared and this Momma - well, I was brave too as I held back my own tears for him. Once in the van he snuggled into Doug's arms and held on tight.  Doug held on just as tight.  I wish you could have seen that moment.  It wasn't long before he seemed to melt tight into the fold of his lap and the tears stopped.

 We ended up having an amazing afternoon.  Zebene began to warm up, he played, sat in our laps, giggled, read books, and did a lot of playing on the wonderful iPhone.  You heard me ... That darn thing saved the day.  We knew he loved music and he also loves to explore.  So explore he did, all the while listening to some great worship music.  Thank you Apple for being our transition stone today.  Not our normal protocol - letting our kids play on our phones - but well today, the Lord used that sucker as a vehicle for calmness, joy and lots of lap holding.  Amen!  Karen Purvis ... You would have been proud if all my yes's today!!

 As I write our boy is now fast asleep.  He wasn't so sure about bed either.  He doesn't seem to be hip on change and unknowns.  He approaches with great caution but then seems to warm up with a bit of time.  He finally nestled down into bed and let us rub his back and lay with him until he drifted off.  Victory!

 Things he loves- matchbox cars, books, discovery of how things work (hello ... Another Maliah), his new chucks tennis shoes, getting lotion on (he giggled), m&m's, his water cup with fun spout I brought, water, water and oh water ... Yes, he drank a lot! So much that we officially have the process of "Shint" (going pee) down to an art and have learned what thevZebene gotta go dance looks like.

 Tomorrow is our embassy interview bright and early so I need to get this wrapped up and besides, I probably lost you and your attention a long time ago.

  Sweet Dreams from Ethiopia!





Thank you Apple for being our transitioning stone today.  
Bedtime giggles ... see, he did start to warm up!


5 comments:

Tanya Robinson said...

Cristie! He's beautiful! Thanks for sharing the hard. I appreciate real.

Waitingfaithfully said...

Rejoicing with you on this great day!
Sweet Zebene, welcome to your very own family, forever!

Praying for Zebene's heart as he makes this tough transition. Praying for wisdom for his mama and daddy as you help him learn what being in a family is all about!

Listening to your playlist . . . Beautiful Things--

"You make me new, You are making me new
You make me new, You are making me new."

Thank you Lord for Zebene's new life! Thank You for being his Defender, thank you for rescuing him. Thank you for being with him every step of the way. Thank you for making him new!

We praise you for Zebene and for his family!

Blessings from San Antonio,

Tina and family

Elissa said...

Oh sweet Z!!! Tears, tears and more tears (heartbroken ones then happy ones) as I read this post. (All the way to the end, I might add). Love you guys and praying that each day, God knits your hearts more together. Can't WAIT til the 10th!

jeanette said...

congratulations!!

Cindy Foote said...

Oh My Goodness!!!! What precious pictures! I know this had to be a terrible-wonderful day! So hard but so good! If only Zeb could see into the future and know how good God's plans are for him! Praying over these first days together...you know, the beginning of FOREVER! Love it!

Post a Comment

 
© Lead us to Levi

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs