Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The list is endless

Today marks 3 weeks together.  It's hard to believe that it has already been three weeks and yet, as I look back I can already see how far you have come.
3 weeks ago, you were scared to death to leave the Transitional Home with us.  You cried and shook your finger "no" at us and the guides.  You kept your distance and shrugged your shoulders if we would approach.  We eventually had to pick you up and take you against your will.  You were so scared and yet so so brave.  I often wonder how well I'd be doing in your shoes ... I'm thinking, definitely not as well as you.  
Today, you cry when we leave your side at night and nap (so we don't), oh how far we have come from that day when you pushed us away at that Transitional Home!  

In the last 3 weeks, I have learned and continue to learn so much about you, Zebene.  There is definitely so much to love!

  • I love the way you you shake your finger "no" and tell us "yellum" when you don't want to do something.  
  • I love the way your smile and eyes light up when you see something you like.
  • I love the way you count "Makena's" (cars) as we drive somewhere.  
  • I love the way you have opened up to trying new foods ... and are starting to call them by their names; pineapple, milk, and of course, cookies.  Trust is being built when you will try these thing and no longer give us a shoulder shrug for everything on your plate.  
  • I love that you will randomly stop what you are doing and run to each of us, grab our hands and kiss them.  One at time.  Often.  You are so affectionate.  
  • I love that you love to reach up for me and have me carry you down the stairs.
  • I love that when you saw a rolly polly, you said "Kwas" (ball) and were so intrigued by it.
  • I love that because one time when you went "shint" (yes, that is what you call pee) and I broke off a piece of tissue to wipe the rim of the seat ... you now do it every time too.
  • I love that you will say throughout the day, "Canyon, Dakota and Maleeluh" over and over as if asking where they are.
  • I love that you love to look at our pictures and say who we are "Mommy, Doddy, Canyon, Dakota and "Maleeluh".
  • I love that when you saw a picture of your friend "Bedilu", you lit up and said "BEDILU" with excitement.  It brings me joy that you know sweet friendship.
  • I love that yesterday as we walked up the stairs, you began to say each of your friends names from the Transitional Home; Mehret, Ashanafi, Sentayhu, Bedilu, and on and on.  As I joined in, you smiled so big.  Sweet boy, those friends will never be forgotten.  
  • I love that when we put your shoes on, you now say "Zebene shoes, Mommy shoes".
  • I love that you learned that in our house, you take off your shoes when you come in ... and have done it every time since we showed you the very first night.   How fast you learn.  
  • I love that the first time we went outside, I bent down and pulled some weeds from the grass ... now, every time you see the weeds ... you bend down and pull them too.  
  • I love that you love to sing and dance and that throughout much of the day ... you are singing a song in Amharic.
  • I love that you taught me the words for big "tiliq" and small "tinish" by showing me two different size beads.  And I love now that you reiterate it over and over with big and small things.
  • I love that I am certain at times, you are totally tricking us with words (and making up words) ... like today as you pointed to the Polar Bear and said "injera" and giggled.  I giggled and said "no no no" and you shook your head yes to see if you could fool me.  You have a sense of humor.
  • I love that you can now point to almost every animal on the animal book and say it's name in English.  You are so bright!
  • I love that even though you know the name "Turtle"  ... you tell me each time "Elly".  Must be a word you love.  I actually think it fits better than turtle too.
  • I love the way you don't have personal space with your siblings on the couch.  That when you climb up to sit next to them, you snuggle up close.
  • I love that the other day, I was cuddling Maliah (spooning her) on the couch.  When she got down, you jumped up and took her place.  You too wanted a cuddle.  I love it!  
  • I love that today you pressed your nose to mine, giggled and then kissed me on the lips.  I love that you thought this was funny.  
  • I love that for two weeks ... you called me "Auntie", recently ... I love and that I have officially earned the spot of "Mommy".   It is a place in your life that should be earned ... I pray I am finding my way there.  I love to hear you say it!  
  • I love the way you light up when I serve you injera.
  • I love the way you say "Feesh" for fish, "Cot" for Cat, etc.  If I could, I would freeze the Ethiopian accent in your language skills forever.  I know, I might be crazy ... but there is beauty in it.
  • I love how cautious you are with new things and yet, you continue to try.
  • I love the way every time you give you PiPa a high five or a thumbs up, you will kiss your thumb or hand after.  It's as if you are telling him he is loved.  
  • I love how you stop to look at the bugs on the sidewalk, pick the leaves off the trees, touch the ends of the flowers.   I love watching the world through your eyes.
  • I love the way you laughed the first time we gave you a drink from a drinking fountain ... and it went all over your face because you hadn't a clue what to do.  
  • I love the way when we walk down the stairs, you point to the boat in the picture every. single. time and say "Bot".  
  • I love that you stop under each light switch for me to pick you up and turn it off or on.  
  • I love that even though we don't share the same language, there has been very few times that we have not been able to communicate.
  • I love that the other day, when you stuck your tongue out at Mommy ... you realized quickly that that was not nice and then said "Soddy Mommy, Soddy" (sorry).
  • I love the way when you are uncomfortable, or sometimes just because ... you will stick up your hand and wrap it into mine to hold it.  I love holding your hand!  
  • I love staring at your eyes and smile.  I don't even think I am biased when I say that I have the 4 most beautiful children in the world.  I cannot take any credit ... but you are GORGEOUS!  
There are so so many things I love about the precious little boy you are, Zebene!  One day, we will look back and it will seem like forever ago.  As we move through this journey, I don't want to forget the little things that I loved along the way of your discovery and your transition into this big new world of yours.  If I only could have "record" on that video all day.  It is beautiful to watch your big new world unfold!  



Favorite past time ... pushing big cars

Pulling the weeds

Yep, putting them in the trash.  

Taking in every morsel of newness.

"Kwoss" (ball) ... Rolly Polly bugs

Studying the Rolly Polly


3 comments:

Autumn said...

I absolutely LOVED reading this!!!! So precious. And you will be so glad someday that you have been writing all these things down. Longing for the day when a similar story will be mine with my little "M" from Ethiopia. Thanks for sharing your journey!

Shelly said...

Beautiful!!! And he's quite a little mommy's helper too!

Stephanie said...

Darling, it is time to post Zebene's picture on the left side of this blog, under Maliah's :-) I love checking in on you and your family....it is truly an inspired story. Thank you so much for sharing it with the world.

Post a Comment

 
© Lead us to Levi

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs