Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Progress is progress ...

Progress is well ... progress.  And we have a few things to report on.

I am excited and super pleased to announce that in the past two nights, our little Ethiopian Angel has gone to sleep without us staying right by his side until he his a coma baby.

NOPE ... in fact, we sing, read books, tuck him in, pat his back, give kisses and LEAVE.  The first night, he whimpered slightly.  I told him Momma would keep his door open (who knows if he understands that ... but I sure talk to him like he does).  I came back about 10 minutes later and he was sawing some serious logs.  Dream land ... LALALA ... and so was I.  AN ENTIRE HOUR TO MYSELF??  Pinch me,  I have to be dreaming!

So, I tried that today at nap.  Singing songs, books and giggles were shared first.  I then tucked him in and was about to leave when this dialogue proceeded;

Zebene:  "Feesh, Feesh" (we went to the store today for the first time together and purchased you guessed it - Goldfish - another milestone - navigating HEB with a curious 4 year old).
Mommy:  "Goldfish, do you want a snack?"  (We JUST ate)
Zebene:   He then gave me the routine head nod and Ethiopian eyebrow nod meaning "yes"
Mommy:  "Ah,  buddy, we have to take a nap and then go and get Canyon, Dakota and Maliah from school.  THEN ... we can have a snack".
Zebene:  Giggles - he then closed his eyes tightly and began to act like he was snoring.

HAHAHAHA!!

YEP .. progress.   First, that boy knew exactly what I was saying.   I'm telling you ... he is bright!
And, guess what.  After our little bout of giggles, Mommy tucked him into bed - kissed him and LEFT.
Guess who is now sleeping as I type this.  HELLO hour to myself!  You should feel honored that I am sharing it with you.  Have you seen my laundry piles and my floors lately??  Don't tell Doug I chose you.

So, we are indeed making some headway from the little guy who would scream "Mommy, Doddy, Mommy, Doddy" if he opened his eyes and we were not present.  He is also now awaking happy.  When I go in to check on him (thinking he is asleep),  I often find him looking through his books in bed.  Content.  Happy.   Ah, so am I with this progress!

The other night as I lay next to him, he began to sing to me the beginning of the same song I sing to him.  It's one I made up for my children and with each child,  I insert each of their names as I sing it.  As I laid there next to him, I heard this "Gootnight Mommy, Gootnight Mommy, Gootnight Mommy ... proceeded by the humming in perfect tune of the last portion of the line that comes next.  Sweet boy, he was telling me Goodnight and knew exactly where to insert my name.   Oh and did you notice ... I wasn't "Auntie"????

As we tucked his brother in bed two nights ago, he walked out, turned around said "seet deems Conyon" (sweet dreams Canyon).  Hello Angel!  You just melted me!  Canyon giggled and said "He just told me sweet dreams".  A precious little moment.   I think he melted Canyon too.

He is also picking up some words here and there.  He has "Soddy Mommy, Soddy Mommy" down pat when he realizes he's about to get a good ol' time in.  That is pretty annoying  funny.  Too bad sorry's aren't payment for the little break you need when you do the same thing over and over and over again ... when you know you are not supposed to or when you refuse to clean up the toys, come to Momma when I say "Nah" a gazillion times (and get the evil stare instead).  But indeed, we have got that one down.  Just don't ask him to tell his sister that when their has been a ruckus.  Seems to disappear from the memory bank in the most convenient times.

We are starting to also see a lot more testing of boundaries, eye looks and orneriness.   Yep, we're moving out of the "honeymoon" when he thinks he has to please us and into real transition where we are seeing the true personality unfold.  I am sure more is to come - but as for now, it includes fingers filled with sticky tape.  Think 18 month olds unleashed in your home.  Yes ... we touch and get into EVERYTHING.  Which brings me to another thing he has learned to do.  When Mommy says "no, no Zebene, not a toy", he answers "des, des, des"  (yes, yes, yes).

Progress is progress ... even if it doesn't seem, to the outside world, to be going in the right direction.  It is actually good news that he is beginning to feel right at home, test us (because then we get to show him we love him - no matter what!) and figure out his boundaries.  And well, even if that means that I have to follow him around all day like a toddler, at least he's right by my side while I do it.  It's all about attachment right?  "des des des"!!











3 comments:

Hollands said...

Love this! Progress indeed.
gina

Autumn said...

I LOVE reading all of your updates. I'm learning a ton from reading them and I know it'll help me when I get my little Ethiopian boy home:) Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Lisa Cosper said...

Hey Christie - I truly can't tell you how encouraging your blog has been to me. Found it randomly recently, just as we decided to adopt a toddler instead of an infant. I am terrified and excited all at once. And your honest blogging has been an answer to prayer for us! Please please keep blogging (both the good and hard things)! Saying a prayer for your sweet family tonight...

Post a Comment

 
© Lead us to Levi

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs