Monday, April 9, 2012

Notable firsts

For sure, the most endearing part of an older child adoption journey is seeing the world we live in through new eyes.  Every day is a blank canvas for our sweet boy.  Every day it is filled with new experiences - sometimes scary and sometimes exciting.  It has made me realize, however, all we take for granted.  The little things in our life that we often don't give a second glance.   The most priceless moments of these firsts could never all be caught through the lens, but each moment - each expression he has had is forever etched on my heart.  My sweet boy has added so much beauty and color to his blank canvas in just 9 weeks.  I am continually amazed at just how courageous he is!

The first time he met a stranger he'd call Mommy and Daddy.  The first drink of a water fountain, the first airplane ride, the first bath, the first time you hear that loud flush of a public restroom (still not a favorite ... "too woud" he says), the first time to put your hands underneath a blower in the restroom, the first time to see a swimming pool, the first time Mommy turned on a hair dryer (and he ran for his life), the first baseball game, the first time to try so many new foods, the first time fishing, the first time to see bubbles come on in a hot tub, the first bite of ice cream, the first time in a car seat, the first time to go to Sea World and see Shamu (this reaction still brings me to tears), the first time in your own bed, the first time being rocked to sleep, the first time that a Mommy kissed a boo boo ... my list could go on and on and on.   These are the moments that have led me through the hard ones.    The reality that, my sweet boy has the courage of lion to embark on all these new things with such bravery and joy!

So, this weekend ... we had two more notable firsts.

The first time our little boy went to the swimming pool - and he LOVED it!   "Zebene, ken I ... watar" he said as he pointed to the big pool as we got out.  "Wet" he told me with a big grin "Das, Zebene" (shaking his head yes - meaning he liked this a lot!).  I wish you could have heard him giggle in delight.  Doug and I just kept remarking to one another at how overwhelming that big "Bathtub" must feel to such a little boy from a world away.   What an experience for a little boy who was once terrified of the shower!






The other notable first was Z's first Easter.  While he obviously doesn't yet understand Salvation and our celebration of Jesus's resurrection, it is note worthy to think that he indeed heard the Good news this year ... and for the first time (to my knowledge), a real seed of his death/resurrection and life was presented.   It was also my reminder that no matter how hard this process has been ... it pales into comparison of my own adoption - and a savior who was beaten, bruised, despised and rejected and then hung on a cross so that I could make my way own way "home".

He also attended his first "Fergason Easter Bash".  To say there are a lot of people who attend (my SIL's house) is an understatement.  Next to your local church or neighborhood festival ... that is by far the largest egg hunt I have seen to date.  And, it seems it is becoming a growing (as in the amount) tradition for a cascarone egg fight to follow.  This year, Z was blessed with a big sister who allowed him the honor of crushing his first cascarone on her head.  Now, that is love!




It was super bright ... and poor Z was having a rough go looking into the sun.  

Some girl will sure be lucky one day ... And I'm not even biased!

Fergason Egg hunt

Lest you question if Maliah and Z get along ... this about sums them up each day


Negotiating eggs already

Got this down now!


The big kids had eggs throughout the back of the 6 acre property ... the real hunt was on!

Pretty proud of her accomplishment

First Cascarone smash!



It was also my nephew, Rood's first Easter home.  He arrived from Haiti this past summer - and turned 15 a few weeks ago.  Rood has quite a story and testimony that includes loosing his entire family in the earthquake.  He was trapped under his Mom for two days before being rescued.  All the while, he said he prayed!  He was known in the area as being a child with a "ferocious faith".  It was a great joy to know that Rood was home and able to celebrate the risen Lord this year!    





2 comments:

Amanda Lawrence said...

Amazing family in every way..I love that you rocked Z to sleep...

Anonymous said...

awesome! fun pictures! I recognized 3 of the older kids in that picture above that run track & field with my oldest, TIffany. :-) always a small world around here. So are ya'll related?
What a joyous Easter to have your little guys home! I'm so happy for you! And hope to one day meet him!

Post a Comment

 
© Lead us to Levi

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs