Monday, April 4, 2011

It's all about community!

There is so much to learn about adoption.  There are so many books to read on attachment.  There are so many conferences to go to.  There is "Lingo" to learn .. yep, tons of "Lingo" (DTE, court, embassy, Dossier, paper pregnancy, paper chase, I-171 ... you get the picture).   There is a new culture to learn.  There is a family to prepare.  You can do all of this on your own.  But there is one thing you can't do.

Get through the LOWEST LOWS!

Man, last week I took a nose dive.  My ability to "wait" gave in and I was sinking.  By Thursday, I had e-mailed our Family Coordinator to see if she could give us any "CLUE" on our process.  I vented my sadness.  My lack of patience.  My feeling blue.

I also posted on my "yahoo" group for my agency that I was just feeling blue as could be.  So many questions swirled in my head and I bombarded them with every one!

Let me just tell you ... Adoption isn't and shouldn't be a journey you walk alone.  One day I'm up and can encourage another and every once in a while there is a day that just feels like it will never end - like last week.  It is those days that I am ENCOURAGED!!  By strangers.  By ladies I have never met.  By "friends" on facebook that share two things "mutual" ... adoption and other "Mutual friends" who are ALLLL walking this journey.

How blessed I was to receive sweet responses both privately and through my yahoo group.  How blessed I was to know that my family coordinator not only took the time to respond to my questions but assured me, over the weekend, she'd be praying for my Momma's aching heart.   Jennifer, boy did I feel them!

I guess I say all this to say ... if you are on the outside looking in, I SO wish you could experience and know what I have ... THIS is community!  We celebrate each other's milestones.  We rejoice with good news.  We rally the troops when it's time to pray.  We answer concerns.  And better yet, we just listen.  We share a kindred spirit.  And yet ... some of us have never met!

I adore and love each and every friend that the Lord has blessed me with through my adoption journey(S).  My very closest friends are all ones he has given me along the way.  Is that not the sweet spot in this journey?

We can prepare for many things ... even the blessing of our child.  But what we don't expect are the blessings of sweet friendships!

On another note, on the "unofficial list" our yahoo keeps our family is #2 for an child over 3.  BUT ... the #1 spot was a family seeking an older girl and I have since seen that with the other 6 referrals given out on Thursday that they were referred a beautiful little girl.  SO ... does that mean I am moving up to NUMBER ONE??

Only the Lord knows ... and today is one of those days that I totally feel his peace with that.  Today, it's my day to encourage.  Who needs a lift??

3 comments:

Shine Like Stars said...

Yep, couldn't do this without community! :)

The Davidsons said...

I couldn't agree more! I think of our group as "all of my best friends that I've never met".

Robyn

Tina said...

Hi Cristie! I couldn't find a place to email you, so I'm leaving a comment. I'm the Content Editor for Laity Lodge Family Camp, and I'm wondering if you'd be interested in writing a guest post for us. Would you contact me to chat about it?
toddntinahoward (at) gmail.
Thanks!

Post a Comment

 
© Lead us to Levi

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs