Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Everyone has an opinion ...

Shock rang out on Friday when an article began to circulate that Ethiopia planned to cut adoptions by 90%.  Despair and fear plagued the hearts of many families within my own agency (and yes, admittedly myself) when an e-mail arrived at 4:45 that afternoon asking us to pray as MOWA was desiring to write less letters of recommendations for families during the process (bringing an unheard of slow down).   And with both of those revelations came something fleshly ... opinions ... many of them!

I have been amazed at the number of "opinions" I have read or seen posted on Facebook and other sources with the onset of this possible news.  The number of people who have flippantly created and formed an "opinion" without understanding or knowing the impact of their words.  The number of people who have worked to dissect and give answer to the why's, how's and what if's, dismissing those whose lives are woven into each remark or assumption.
As I sit and read each post, blog or update, I find myself wondering if the enemy is winning.  If it is true, that Lord doesn't work in fear and doubt ... then have we given room with each "examination" of the "problem" for the enemy to gain ground?  Have we used our time to give him credit instead of praying without ceasing and trusting that the Lord is bigger?  No doubt, the enemy wants nothing more to put division in the body and to hold captive the orphan.  Have our words been used as ammunition to his plan?  Have we wasted precious time arguing over "what is right" instead of asking for HS will?

My stomach has turned into knots as people have called International Adoption the act of "Rich white people".  My heart has grieved as I have seen some place numbers on the head of my daughter ... and the child I long to know.  I dare any of you to tell my daughter that the resources spent to bring her home would have been far more "useful" to build a permanency center or to build a care center where "many could be fed".  Didn't the Lord go after the one lost sheep?

If I believe in God's word then I believe what he tells me in Psalm 139.  I believe that he knows each of our days before one of them came to be and that means I believe that each child that he places into a home through adoption was DESTINED to be there!  If I believe that the Lord speaks to me, then I also have to trust when I hear his voice.  Those that have questioned if International Adoption is the "Right thing" has questioned the very voice and calling of the one who called me or any family into this journey!  I haven't yet met a family who have stepped their toe in lightly to the world of adoption.  On the contrary, it is the most prayerful community I have been privileged to take part in!  I cannot imagine walking this road without Faith!

Do I believe that a child who isn't truly orphaned should be adopted?  No way!  Am I blind that there are those in this world that are corrupt and those who seek financial gain from a system?  No, I'm not blind.  But I also don't believe that shutting down a program without seeking a resolution is the answer.  I don't believe that calling International Adoption the "last resort" is justified.
God showed me his heart for adoption before we ever took a breathe.  Esther was adopted, Moses was adopted, Jesus was adopted.  If you've trusted in his name, YOU were adopted!  He showed me it was indeed a "plan A" for some of the chosen a long time ago!

Do I believe that adoption is the only answer?  Absolutely not!  I believe in a holistic approach to caring for the orphan.  I believe we should visit them!  I believe we should use our financial resources to sponsor them and to support the work of agencies and ministries who are bringing resolution to the heart of the problem ... the family who can't care for them.

I do not know the future of adoptions in Ethiopia.  Oh how I wish I did!  I do not know the end of this story ... but I know the one who does!  SO, instead of validating "opinions" or arguing over "solutions", I humbly ask that each of you would do one thing; pray!  Pray blessings over the officials of MOWA ... I can imagine that their job brings much room for spiritual warfare!  Pray favor and honor over the court and judges who sees and hears each child's case.  Pray discernment over those who get to make the decisions that will impact the lives of thousands.  Pray peace over the families who await their answers.  Pray HOPE over the children who deserve a family.  Pray abundance over the ministries who work tirelessly on behalf of the entire crisis.  Pray resources over the staff who write those letters.  Pray truth and light over any corruption .. and rid it quickly!  Pray Pray Pray and when you think he's heard your prayers ... pray again!  I trust he delights in your prayers and delights in hearing the word "orphan" brought into his throne room!

1 Chronicles 5:20 "They were helped in fighting them, and God handed the Hagrites and all their allies over to them because they CRIED OUT to him during the battle.  He answered their prayers, because they TRUSTED HIM".  

3 comments:

Nate and Pam said...

THANK YOU for sharing this, Cristie!!! This is almost EXACTLY what I have been thinking and feeling, and you put words to what I have been struggling to articulate. I haven't even attempted a blog post yet because I can't find the words. Thank You!!!!! ~Pam~

carrie said...

I so appreciate your attitude in this. Thank you for the reminder to focus on praying rather than dissecting the problem. The enemy cannot gain ground when we are listening to the Voice of Truth!

Jeremy & Kat Willet said...

Cristie,

Finally someone who calls us all to prayer regarding this situation. Its the only thing we can do. We are praying with you in anticipation of bringing our son home from Ethiopia as well.

Trusting in the Lord with you,

Jeremy & Kat Willet

Post a Comment

 
© Lead us to Levi

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs