Sunday, January 23, 2011

I can let the secret out!



I am horrible at secrets.  The excitement usually gets the best of me and I have to tell.  But, in the end, sometimes secrets are super fun!
Our team leaves in 25 days for Ethiopia.  I leave my home in 24 as I will first fly into DC and spend the night so I can make it in time to leave out at noon that next day with the other 29 members of my team.  It's coming down to the final weeks and I am so excited!  The details are starting to come together ... I mean, for the trip that is.  As for me, um, I have a lot of packing and things to do!  Project preparation in the works!

Our final itinerary is coming together.  We had a conference call this past week to discuss the orphanages we'll be getting to visit and the communities we will be getting to serve.  The more our team leader shared, the more excited I got.  
First, for my secret!  No, it's not a referral for Levi - DARN IT!  But exciting none the same.  Something we have known for some time and haven't been able to share is that our team will be partnering with "TOMS" shoes to do a two day and first ever shoe drop in Ethiopia.  SERIOUSLY!  You do know who Toms shoes are right?  Ya know, the buy a pair, give a pair, Toms.   If you don't, then check them out here.     Anyways, we'll be spending two days with a distribution team of Toms called "Baer Essentials" fitting the feet of many many precious children who will be getting a brand new pair of shoes courtesy of this amazing company/ministry!  What awesomeness that we get to play a part in, huh!  


We will also be spending some time in two areas a few hours outside of Addis Ababa called "Holeta" and "Ambo".  From our conference calls and my understanding, Holeta has a small orphanage of around 15 or so children.  The woman who runs this orphanage is amazing and one of the most incredible families, The Minovech family, adopted four children through this orphanage not too too long ago.  Tracy said that it is a place of complete destitute.  There is no water, and very little food.  She said they cook over an open fire "like in the stone age", they don't have beds and her exact words were "it's as bad as you can imagine".  BUT, she also said that the beautiful woman, Pochai, who runs the orphanage loves the Lord and shares about Jesus to these beautiful children though the community has a high prevelence of witch craft.  Tracy said her children came to them filled with the love of Christ, but also stories, sadly, of watching their friends be "sold".  Child trafficking is a huge problem in the area and so I am certain the enemy is very present.   I can't wait to meet Pochai, a light in the darkness.  We will spend a day here in Holeta before making our way to "Ambo" where we will spend the night ... in a place my team leader swears is "nice" ... or so she's told (HAHA).  
Ambo has  no "orphanage" per say, however, there is about 20 kids that we will get to spend time with who are orphans.  We will also get to do some possible home visits into the local families homes and do whatever the community needs us to do in the way of serving them.  We are open to whatever the need is!  
In both of these communities, we will be the first to work in their community.  Please begin to pour prayer over our time in Ambo and Holeta ... that through our team, we can share the love of Jesus and open opportunities for future teams of Visiting Orphans to also begin to serve these communities.  


As mentioned in the past post, we will spend 3 additional days in Korah.  To learn a little about Korah, please watch the video below.  Without question, every day needs a covering in prayer.


The last day we are in Ethiopia our team will be broken into two groups.  
One group will have the opportunity to spend time in a orphanage run by an amazing and loving Catholic Nun.  There are about 100 children from the age of birth to 17 who call this orphanage home.  We are told that many children that are adopted from Ethiopia come out of this orphanage.  We are also told that it is a well run facility with a basketball court, a soccer field etc.  
The second half of the team will have the opportunity to go to a very small orphanage called "Drawn from Water".   What I have learned is that a tribe in Ethiopia believes that children can become evil and cursed by two ways 1.)  they are born to an unwed mother 2.)  their top two teeth come in first.  In either circumstance, the tribe leader declares these children "Evil" and will tie them up and throw them in the river to be drown.    The families of these children do not want this to happen.  Often they will hide their children out in attempt to save them.  Drawn from Water rescues these children and brings them to this orphanage.  From my understanding, all the children residing their currently are six years and younger.  Because of cultural differences, none of them, with exception to one little girl, will ever be available for adoption.  This will be their forever home.  


Our team will also have the opportunity to spend time in the fistula hospital of Addis Ababa.  I believe we do so immediately upon our arrival in country.  Through my tired and weary eyes, I pray that I can really take in the beautiful woman there and give them the love they deserve!  


Lots of prayers are needed during our teams travel days and even in the preparation ahead.  I'll chat about those next, but I just wanted to give you a glimpse into what we'll be doing during out stay.  


We will be taking all sorts of donations into these areas.  We will also be doing all sorts of crafts, VBS, and games with the children.  Some have asked what they can donate.  
Think small things and light things.  One friend recently tossed out the idea of hackey sacks for the boys.  That is an awesome idea!  Anyone up for grabbing some?  I'd be happy to take them in!
I have started a pile of donations; so far some crayons, stickers, small bags of candy, about 30 match box cars, some hair bows and nail polish for the little princess's we will meet.  I could always use more of those things.  I am also hoping to collect some tooth brushes, toothpastes and combs.  Maybe some small lotions as well.  I hope to get out this week for some beading supplies and some "pipe cleaners" as I think the kids would love to create with them.  
If you want to play a part, you can do so by contacting me and I would be happy to meet up for your donations.  If you aren't local, you can also donate finances towards the things I will buy or the goats we are hoping to provide the communities (See post below).  You can do that on my "chip in" on the side.  Be sure to put in the comment section "Visiting Orphans Mission trip" so I know that it is your desire for it to be used towards those things .. and not the adoption fundraising we are also doing.  


Project Preparation is under way!  Thank you in advance for joining me in serving the least of these!



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog and I am so STOKED that you get to do the shoe drop in Ethiopia! We love our TOMS and that is so awesome that they are doing that:) Praying for your trip and for your little Levi too. Blessings, Tammy

Post a Comment

 
© Lead us to Levi

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs