Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Don't be a Goat ... Man Up for a Goat!"

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat.  I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,  I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.  Then the righteous will answer him, Lord when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? 
"The King will reply, ' I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' 


I have been preparing myself for a trip I have wanted to go on for so long.  Spending time in Ethiopia!!  It's coming down to the last month before I leave and I have so much going on in my head and my heart that on many days I can't organize my thoughts and my simple "to do's" to get prepared.  I have so much to prepare to travel and go, but I have been really trying to prepare my heart for what I will experience.  I'm not really sure that it's possible to fully prepare ones self for the 10 days that lye ahead.  I mean, how do you prepare to fall in love with orphans ... many of them and then have to leave them?  How do you prepare to spend 3 days in a dump; the smells, the sights and the truth of the over 100,000 people who call it home every day and walk away?  How will I come home to my life of abundance?  The Lord arrested my heart for his orphan over 4 years ago when he placed one in my arms and called her mine ... but that's just it, she's mine!  How will I compute leaving them behind and live each day responsible for what I have seen and known.  My friends and those who know me know that I am already very vocal about my passion for the church to care for the orphan.  How will I feel after I have learned their names and felt their breathe on my face?

For some time I have said that I can't wait to go and be Jesus!  To get to just sit and love on his children!  To kiss the cheeks of a child he adores!  To be his hands to hold them!  To be his voice to tell them they are adored and loved!  But, Jesus ... what a daunting task, to be Jesus!

But then I was reminded of quite the opposite!  You see, my perspective has been that I am getting the amazing privilege of being Jesus to others and yet, he tells me in the above passage, that they are him!  He says, whatever I am doing to them, I am doing to him!  I'm not Jesus .. THEY ARE!  What wouldn't you do for your King?  I'm not sure if it makes the perspective easier or harder?  My Jesus amidst the thousands eating from a dump?  My Jesus, living in an orphanage with no mother or father to call his own?  My Jesus, sitting in a fistula hospital living a life of shame and despair?

Let that sink in!

So, I am preparing and hope you will help me prepare.  First, I wanted to give you a glimpse into the city of Korah where the team I am with from Visiting Orphans will spend 3 days;
**  be sure to pause music below **

The Village of Korah from ReFocus Media on Vimeo.

Will you pray for our team while we minister to the precious people in Korah?  We will be partnering with Project61, a ministry dedicated to caring for the people of Korah.

We will also be doing a huge goat roast there, a project one of my team leaders affectionately calls the "Man Up BBQ project".  We are working to raise the money to purchase and slaughter and roast 50 goats.  They will cost $45 each.  He has put out a challenge called "Don't be a Goat and Man up for a Goat" challenge to raise the funds to provide for the Man Up BBQ.  This totally CRACKS ME UP ... and I want to play!!!  
But, in all seriousness, will you help?  If you would like to donate towards the goats, you can do so by simply clicking my "Chip In" on the side (yes, the one we are raising funds for Levi with).  In your comments, please denote that you'd like your donation to go towards the Man up challenge or for supplies for my mission trip!  

Lastly, I'm collecting all sorts of small items to bring with me.  Crayons, paper, beading supplies, stickers, nail polish, barrettes, etc.   So if you have anything you'd like to donate, let me know.  I'd love to bring it along for some awesome fun with some of Jesus's most precious treasures!!!

33 days and counting!




4 comments:

Shine Like Stars said...

Oh Cristie, I'm in tears right now. Mostly because of the video. But also because of how big and awesome our God is. He always planned to take you on this trip alone, only He knows why. There is no one on earth I would rather serve with, but His intentions were only to test Brian and I, so that when he called us to something more extreme (for us), we would say Yes. :)
I will be praying for you, for your team and for ever man, woman and child you encounter. And I will be praying that they will get a glimpse of eternity in your actions.
And remember, as you enter the dump city and you see images that no human should see, let alone endure, remember...No, I want you to know - God is there! He has always been there! He has just been waiting for His church to show up! He will equip you and He will guide you.
Go and serve girl! You were made for a time such as this. :)
And one day, "our time together" will come. I know it will!

Anonymous said...

I've been keeping up since your kind New Years' letter. I admire that you "walk the walk" as well as "talk the talk." This trip will be quite an education, my friend. Your adventure might very well break your heart, but then...isn't that what it's all about? Making our hearts bigger? It seems like our perceptions and sense of control always have to explode in order to make room for more understanding...love...maybe even some peace. We'll all be waiting to hear that you have returned safely. Peace be with you. Mary, Jason, Jett and Jacey Thompson

Crazy Roots in Africa said...

Jason just returned from the VO trip to Korah on the 11th. He slaughtered a goat himself, the only one on the team willing to try! Man up Christi, I want to see pictures of you with blood on your clothes and the huge knife in your hand! :)
Good Luck! We'll be praying for your trip and for all the members on your team!

Anonymous said...

How can I email you directly? I would like more info on your journey and your t shirts:) Praying for you!

Post a Comment

 
© Lead us to Levi

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs