Friday, August 12, 2011

Breathless

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath way"

August 11, 2011
Breathless (pun intended)

ACT 1 

Sitting on the table in the middle of the doctor's office, I chatted with the overly gabby doctor about everything from my awful bronchitis infection, the fact that I felt completely breathless,  to Ethiopia, adoption and injera.  To be honest, I was completely exhausted and wiped out from 3 days in "China" (camp that is) and just wanted to get on with it but Mr. friendly must have been working on his gregarious bedside manners that afternoon.  As he gabbed away a cell phone rings.  Looking down at my purse sitting next to me, I notice that my phone is in just enough visible sight to see 3 important numbers:  703!!

It's a darn good thing in that moment that Mr. Friendly had already taken my pulse, heart rate and listened to my chest because I am certain that within about 2 seconds it shot off the charts from "normal" to completely breathless!!  OH MY GOSH, was this what I thought it was?  My head began to race, my heart began to pound and every other word out of Mr. Friendly's mouth became mud.  

Trying to remain calm, I waited until he left the room and then grabbed my phone.  Yep, a voicemail.  Trying to compose myself, I reminded myself that 3 times in the past few months I had received calls from the infamous "703", only to discover that it wasn't "programming staff" (my Family Coordinator) and my long awaited "Call", but Corporate Staff (I am on the Board of Directors and do Associate work) with conversations that had nothing to do with our journey.  Maybe this was just another one of those calls.
(scene - take 2) pulling up voicemail, I listen:

"Hi Cristie, this is Jennifer Allen at AWAA, please give me a call when you get this.  I will be stepping into a programming meeting in a few minutes so if you don't get me, I will get in touch with you before the end of today"

My heart began to race wildly and I texted Doug and my bestie to ask them to pray ... "703" had called, I had a voicemail ... this could be it!

ACT II

Racing to my car I think to myself "stepping into a meeting in a few minutes, oh my gosh ... I cannot wait, I cannot miss her".  Dialing back 703 my stomach does flip flops and I cross my fingers (and toes!).  

Jennifer answers and within moments tells me that she is calling because she indeed has a REFERRAL ... today is our day!!  I am certain I stopped breathing!   She asks if I want to try and conference Doug in so we can be on the line together to hear our news.  I agree and gulp back my tears and embrace for the news we had anxiously be waiting to hear ... 

ACT III

"O.K, we're all 3 on the line.  Are you guys ready".    I hear Doug giggle and say "yes", but before she talks I squeeze in ... through my tears and shaking voice ... "Doug, this is it ... this is our day!" Jennifer Giggles and THEN begins to tell us of the little boy, OUR SON, that we had been longing to know all about.  

I franticly take notes (on the back of my prescription ... good grief!) while my mind raced and time seem to stand still.  I remember her telling us that she was e-mailing us right then all his information and pictures.  I remember faintly some instructions of what we needed to do to accept or reject his referral ... but honestly, all the rest is mud.  Something about no oxygen to the brain seems to cause a feeling of euphoria and shock.  My mind was swimming and all I could think was ... LOAD e-mail LOAD!!  Through the grace of God, I had my iPad IN THE CAR that afternoon because that very morning I had used it to teach a portion of my lesson at China Camp.  I was armed ... and ready ... to see his face!!

ACT IIII
(scene setting:  the driveway of my parents home - hiding out in my car and on the phone with my bestie!)
FINALLY, I see his face!
 I am breathless

He is ADORABLE!  His eyes are beautiful!  His smile is radiant!  He is so so healthy looking.  His skin and complexion just silky smooth.  He looks happy, content and frankly, like he's totally ready to jump on his Daddy and brother to wrestle in the yard or play a game of football.  He just FITS!  (Oh and for those curious .. He is 3.5 years and I came closest to "the bet")  

SO

After 3 hours of keeping my news a secret from my kids and 3 hours of trying to track everyone down (who was, of course, in 4 different places), we had the joy of sharing our great news with 2 adoring big sisters and one excited brother at 5:30 last night.  It was a fun moment and yet, very much a surreal moment too.  It still is sinking in that we have a son.  I have spent the day running his medical information to our pediatricians, staring at his face, reading through all our documents, staring at his face, reading all sorts of awesome congratulation wishes on FB, staring at his face, and learning his story and oh yeah,  staring at his face!

So what now, what's next?  Well, first off, we will send back his acceptance on Monday and the clock will then begin for a court date.  Of course, courts are officially CLOSED right now so we have no clue what that means for our timeframe.  They open again in the first week of October or so.  Hopefully, we'll get in on the line for one of those first appointments they give after they open for business and start setting those dates.  Maybe October/early November???  Only the Lord knows!  But I trust him!

I can tell you, as I read his story that the Lord has completely and divinely paved a way through his timing (Levi's) and ours to be together.  I am AWED by some key dates in his life and how they intersect with ours.  With all that knowledge, I am armed and confident that the Lord knows just how he'll finish 

THIS GREAT STORY


PS I can't share publicly his picture, his name or his birth date until he is "officially" ours.  I know, I know, that totally stinks!  You'll just have to trust me on this one; he is worth the wait!
But, hmmm, maybe a sneak peak will buy you some time?


7 comments:

LynnieB said...

Cristie - crying tears of joy over here! So happy for you all. Thanks for the sneak peek - what beautiful soulful eyes!!!

Anonymous said...

your post made me weep out of joy for you all. May our Lord continue to bless you all on this wonderful journey!
-the oliphantman

Jenn said...

Oh man! I'm so glad I'm at home alone or someone might think something is terribly wrong with me! Tears, Tears, Tears! Thank you, Jesus, for such an incredible gift when you created this precious boy!! Bummed the call didn't come during China Camp...but trusting the Lord knows what He's doing!! Rejoicing with you, Cristie!!!

Anonymous said...

Man, I can't believe you didn't just tell the doctor to BE QUIET. I don't think I could have sat there knowing that it might be THE CALL! I admire your patience. :-) I can't wait to get to see his handsome face and see you all together as a family! So excited!!!!!

Carmen D.

Ashley said...

awesome!!! I know it's been a long wait... Praise the Lord for this precious, precious boy! Celebrating with you!

jeanette said...

oh my goodness! What a great way to start my Sunday. :)

praising God with you and your family and praying He will continue to prepare all 6 of you for the transition to come.

Breanna Emmitt said...

I love this, Cristie! I figured you couldn't share him yet online, and I wasn't sure if you could in person yet or not, but nearly left body pump to ask if you had his pic with you at the gym. ;) So happy for your family! - All 6 of you!!!

Post a Comment

 
© Lead us to Levi

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs