Monday, August 22, 2011

Back to school Celebration Dinner

It's hard to believe it's already that time of year.  My kids headed off this morning for their "First days".  Canyon is in 5th, Dakota in 4th and my baby in Kinder.  No way!  Where has time gone?

As we prepared for another school year, we did so with a kick off Celebration Dinner.


On the menu; Swiss Cheese Wine Chicken, Mandarin Orange Salad, Caesar Salad, Hershey Pie and Sparkling Grape Juice.






We spent time talking about our scripture for the year; "Be Completely humble and gentle, be patient, bearing with one another in love".  Ephesians 4:2.  We chose this verse for our year for many reasons.  First, this is the example we hope our children will be as they interact in school and with their peers.  Secondly, we are working on these attributes in our own home.  Yes, we'll admit, on many days and on many moments, we lack some of these things with each other; humility, patience and speaking in love.  Gasp, I know ... but it is true.  Lastly, knowing that we will soon add a brother to our home, we also know that we will be working to exercise these things even more so as he transitions into being one of the family.

Next, we focused on praying for our teachers.  Between my 3 kids; they will have 10 teachers this year (not counting the GT teacher, and specials).  That's a lot of influence which brings a lot of reasons to pray.
"As for me, far be it from me, that I should sin against the Lord by failing to pray for you ..." 1 Samuel: 12:23.  Indeed, we are committed to pray for our teachers each and every day by name.

The kids also thought through and wrote out some goals for this year.  I loved this part and I loved seeing some of the things that they had in mind and saw as important.  What a window into their hearts.  Boy, I like what I saw.


Lastly, our table would not have been complete without our 6th place setting.  Indeed, this year we included a place for Levi "Z".  We are ready to see him fill that seat and so thankful for the Lord for showing us just who it is we have been praying for this entire past year.  We are already in love and excited that this will be the year He will complete our family.
Thank you to a friend, Jennifer Conant, for inspiring me to take the time out to enjoy such a special night.  We have added this one to our "Traditions" list ... it was a HIT!

3 comments:

Cindy Foote said...

OKAY! That all ROCKS!!!!! Impressive. Our night-before-school tonight included - surviving the trip home from Amarillo and canned soup:) Love you!

Shine Like Stars said...

LOVE THIS!! And please send the recipe for the chicken dish my way. Sounds delicious!

Wynne Elder said...

what an incredibly good idea! I just love it! saving it to the "do when I"m a mom" file. thank you for sharing!

Post a Comment

 
© Lead us to Levi

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs