Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Everyone plays as part!

So we are knee deep in the paper chase and I will say, this time I am much further along one month in than I was with Maliah. Perhaps that's promising ... I have a personal goal of beating my 7 month finish line DTC (Date to China) mark. I'm in a race against myself.

As we chase all these papers, doctors visits, family reference letters, background checks, home studies, inspections and more, I am reminded that everyone gets to play a part in our adoption - whether they like it or not. Proof ... Even the dog got to go have her vaccinations updated and her "Doctors Letter" done. At 12 years old (which that makes her like 90 in dog years), Ally was in for a real surprise when we loaded her in the back of the Tahoe for a day "out".


Another example of everyone playing a part is much more heart tugging than the previous. As some of you may know, international adoption is not a cheap process. Imagine going to a new car dealership and picking out a beautiful, fully loaded new vehicle. That price would equate our adoption only no one is giving us a 5 year 0% financing note ... nor would we apply for it. Which leads me to the question ... would they re-possess my child? Side note, sorry!

The biggest hurdle to many families adoptions is the finances. Where in the world does any family come up with 30-35K in such a short time? Our family are already penny pinchers. We live by Dave Ramsey philosophies, only use cash, don't live in a luxurious home, we live comfortable and simply, have no car payments and no debt ... and STILL coming up with that extra is only something the Lord could do.
In the past 3 years, as an Associate for America World, I have answered this question at many a seminar ... "how do you afford this"? and I have said over and over "The Lord funds what he favors". I believe it ... I've seen him do it over and over. BUT, I won't lie though, it is scary and daunting going into this. I won't lie that on many nights I have laid there wondering the "how's".
THEN ... the Lord shows up in even little ways and reminds me he has this in his hands. One day, he showed up in the face of my children. It went like this ...

Canyon came into my bedroom holding his "give" jar. He looked up at me and said "Momma, I want to give all my "give" money to you so we can bring home Levi. A few minutes later, in walked Dakota holding her jar. "Momma, I want all my money to go to Levi ... to help bring him home". My eyes filled with tears. Now, on principle, yes, I know our "Give" jars are our kids tithe off the money they receive from allowance and gifts and should go to our church. Just like we tithe 10% or more every month, we ask them to do the same. Because we're adopting it most definitely does not mean we get to keep our tithe for the adoption. In fact, on the contrary, we are more challenged as we write that check each month knowing how much we have to "Save" and yet ... there may be nothing left to "Save" if we do. That's o.k. It's simple obedience and the Lord only asks us to obey. Besides, we do know the Lord provided all of it, and we get to keep 90% which really ... that's a pretty good return!

I was touched though that my kids wanted to be a part of the process. They've taken this adoption to heart. This isn't just Doug and I's adoption but most definitely and even more so ... there's! Dakota has said numerous times that she wants to set up a "bake sale" stand on our corner and sell cookies. Of course, when she asked how much we had to save, I honestly told her about how much and her eyes about popped out of her head when she exclaimed "Those cookies better be good". HAHA.

The end of the story is, my kids have taken a jar of mine and have created a "Save for Levi" jar. They have decided that they would help by putting in loose change they find, a part of allowances and whatever they can to play a part. I love this! Levi, you are SO LOVED already!



And yes, if your in the area, Dakota will soon be holding her very own "Lead us to Levi" baking fundraisers. Get ready for some GOOOOOD cookies!

To add, be on the lookout for two family fundraisers we will be doing for sure. First will be with the coffee company that my husbands helps operate, Ground to Cup. We will be selling coffee online and a portion of each of your purchase will go back to our adoption. YAY ... you get coffee and I get a child. HA The second will be a T-shirt fundraiser. Once again, a portion will go back to help us bring home Levi.
See, I told you everyone would get to play a part. Even YOU can help in some way!

So, we press on and I run the paper chase race. We continue to pinch our pennies, pray the Lord provides, listen to his leading and then watch him show us the "HOW'S".

3 comments:

Jen Taylor said...

Cristie-this hit my heart so hard!! Praying for you, Doug, the Canyon, Dakota, Maliah & Levi daily!!

LynnieB said...

So love this. You let me know when Dakota's Cookie Sale is...

Debb said...

Great post! So awesome to see your children want to jump right in and help bring their brother home! How precious! This adoption is already blessing your family in wonderful ways, seeing that they are "getting it!" Prayers going out for you and your family. I look forward to watching your journey and seeing God's "hows" in your journey to levi. Blessings ~

Post a Comment

 
© Lead us to Levi

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs