Saturday, September 17, 2011

Because he loves me ...

In late 2010 (I can't remember the exact time), the Lord led me to a blog post by the way of a neighbor friends Facebook page.  Seeing the word "orphan" in small print, I clicked the link to find a story of a family who had left all the comforts of "home" to follow the Lord's calling on their lives to serve the least of these in Ethiopia, Africa.  Of course, I was intrigued and excited as I read each of their posts and perused their pictures.  At the time, we were well on our way in our adoption of "Z" and I was preparing for my first trip to Ethiopia with a Visiting Orphans team that February.   I was so excited to meet a family who was serving in the heart of the place that the Lord was drawing our own family.

The fingerprints of God continued to be all over the story as it was through a string of e-mails from myself and Jimmy that led us to learn that we were from the same city, his closest family friend was the now wife of my husband's first cousin, we shared a love and ministry for Somali Bantu's and of course a love for caring for the orphan and least of these.   I quickly felt like these people I had never met were like family.  

Through this connection, a few months later my VO team found ourselves with an invite to join them for the day in a Gov't orphanage where they were serving and loving many children.  Because our itinerary was so full, I was less than hopeful that it would actually get to happen.  But God doesn't work in coincidences and every detail is always HIS!  Upon Ethiopian airlines canceling (at the last minute) all flights going out on the day our team was to depart, we soon found ourselves having one extra day in Ethiopia.  This was perfect!!   When news that we would be arriving one day sooner came, I was ecstatic and quickly began bombarding my team leaders and our ministry leaders with information on how we could "fill our time" and of the invite that Jimmy and Rachel so graciously shared.  I saw the fingerprints of God.

Since then, I have enjoyed following their work through their ministry called "No Ordinary Love".   I have also loved hearing of subsequent VO teams who have been able to join in their work and visit their orphanage too.  

The biggest personal blessing came recently when Jimmy e-mailed to ask if I would like for them to go to the Transitional Home and visit our son.  Would I???  Oh my!  Of course!   I can't even tell you how hard it is to know you have a son 7,000 miles away and not know on a daily bases what he is doing and if he is well.  To say that one must have "trust" and "Faith" during these days is an understatement.  

But alas, the Lord knew this and reminded me that I am not forgotten.  "Z" is not forgotten.  

So indeed, last Wednesday Jimmy and Rachel went and visited our little guy.  They told me on Tuesday they'd be going in the next day so I began to pray for their visit and wait in excitement of anything they had to share.  Late in the day Wednesday, an e-mail arrived and this is what Rachel shared:

"We loved being able to meet your son today!!  He was in school and they happily stopped everything so we could meet your little boy.  I have to say I was impressed with the classroom and the teachers.  To me it seems AWA offers the best "transition" for the children.  Anyway, back to Z.  He is absolutely gorgeous and just as sweet, I love his smile.  He had no idea who we were but we explained in very broken Amharic that we were friends with his anat ena abat (mom and dad)."

Attached to the e-mail was a few precious pictures.  One of them was one of "Z" standing in front of a bookcase holding a book.  Rachel pointed out that Jimmy had given the book to him to hold for the picture and then later noticed what it said "God Knows Everything".  

What a sweet reminder!  Indeed, the Lord does know EVERYTHING.  He has indeed been writing the many pieces of this story, including the families and friends he'd bless us to meet along the way.  

It is so much easier each day to place my trust in this proceess when I can see for myself His "Fingerprints".   He doesn't owe me that ... but because he loves me so ... he allows me to see them anyways.  How great is our God!  

Look closely at the book "God Knows Everything"

"Z" and his special visitor, Mrs. Rachel  


1 comments:

Jodes and Boz said...

Oh my word!! i don't know how i missed this post - Oh, Cristie!! What a HUGE BLESSING that was!!! And i have to say, it's fun getting a little peak at the TH - i've only ever seen the outside. Kinda fun. I know you want to be with your little "Z", but until then, we'll love on and pray over him and let him know that his "anat ena abat" are coming as fast as they can.

Post a Comment

 
© Lead us to Levi

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs